Monday, February 15, 2016

Should Lincoln Have Kept the Split-wing Grill?

2015 Lincoln MKT

Before Lincoln made their debut with the Continental concept, featuring a new grill, I thought Lincoln could resurrect their Split-wing grill.  BMW has been able to keep their grill in style while still being easily recognizable.  Pontiac also had a dual grill that worked well for them.  In Lincoln's case, however, I think most people desired a change.


2016 Lincoln MKZ

With the updated MKZ, Lincoln updated the grill.  They got rid of the waterfall look and adopted a new feathered look.  In their advertising campaigns, they called the MKZ a phoenix, the rebirth of the Lincoln brand.  I personally didn't like this look.  It was better than the past, but not enough for a new car.  The 2016 MKC adopted this look, but it translated into a much more cohesive look.

2016 Lincoln MKC

Last year, before the Continental's preview, I was forming my own ideas.  I tried my had at a few designs for a new Split-wing grill that would bring this old style into a new light for a new generation.  I think the Lincoln logo is very elegant and suited for a luxury brand.  In my concepts, I wanted the Lincoln logo to stand out more.  I wanted it to be larger, and nicely framed.


My rendering of the Lincoln MKZ before their most recent update for 2017.  So, I tried making the chrome outline different.  I find some companies overdo the chrome.  I made it only go across the top, and have the middle connect in a low overhang.  When I look at this now, I think it has a little bit of a Nissan/Renault look to it.  I think Lincoln is on a better path now that what i drew.

What do you think?  Should Lincoln have kept the Split-wing grill?

2015 MKT: http://www.lincoln.com/crossovers/mkt/gallery/photos/popup/photo:12/
2016 MKZ: http://www.lincoln.com/cars/mkz/gallery/photos/popup/photo:6/
2016 MKC: http://cars.axlegeeks.com/l/5810/2015-Lincoln-MKC 

No comments: